Apple's Friends for 7-9 year olds
Apple’s Friends is a school based social emotional learning programme for 7 – 9 year olds. The programme is taught to the whole class by teachers trained in Apple’s Friends in the UK and internationally.
Apple’s Friends was created in 2016 following the success of Zippy’s Friends. The illustrations were once again created by Maggie Guillon.
The programme reinforces skills learnt in Zippy’s Friends for 5-7 year olds but children do not need to have taken part in Zippy’s Friends to complete Apple’s Friends; it is an independent programme.
Apple’s Friends is based around a series of stories and the programme has 24 sessions of 45 minutes.
The six modules cover:
- Change and Loss
- Moving forward
Children develop their own positive strategies to deal with problems through engaging activities: listening to stories, discussion, games, role-play and drawing. There are also Home Activities to reinforce learning at home with parents and carers.
Evaluation studies have found Zippy’s Friends and Apple’s Friends improve children’s coping skills, social skills, emotional literacy, improve the class climate and reduces bullying.
- Read more about the evaluation studies of Apple’s Friends and Zippy’s Friends.
- See a sample session of Apple’s Friends
- If you are interested in teaching Apple's Friends, find training near you
- Take a look at our other programmes
- See how our programmes meet all elements of the Mental Wellbeing requirements of the statutory guidance for Relationships and Health Education for primary schools in England and support many others.
‘Children learned to speak up about their problems; found new ways to solve problems’.